Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Quick and easy mid-week meal

Happy hump day! It's Wednesday meaning we are ALMOST there, Friday is definitely awaiting and I can't wait. Hopefully the week is flying by for you all and you've been trying some of the recipes or will this weekend.

Today's menu is just as it says on the title post 'quick and easy!' I was inspired by the night before with the garlic-dijon salmon steaks and figured I could use that mixture (with a few adjustments) on some chicken breast and so I did.

When the salmon was baking last night I decided I would marinate the chicken breast over night so I prepped. After cleaning the chicken well  (2 boneless skinless chicken breasts) they were chopped in square pieces put in a container and topped with:

  • half of white onion
  • 2 tbsp of honey
  • 2 tbsp of dijon mustard
  • salt and pepper for taste
  • half a tbsp of minced garlic
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • juice from 1 lemon

When I got home I pulled the container out stirred the chicken a few times, set the oven for 350 degrees and got a pan ready with some olive oil on medium high heat. After allowing the chicken to brown a bit I put it in a square oven friendly pan lined with foil and placed it in the oven.




I let that bake for 20 minutes and got the rest of the meal ready.
 
I wasn't really sure what I would make but I knew whatever it was, it would be quick, easy and just a few ingredients...in the cupboards and refrigerator I go. I pulled out some butter beans and garbanzos, arugula, cherry tomatoes and cucumber.
 
I drained and washed the beans poured in some vinegar about half a cup and extra virgin olive oil (less than half a cup) then placed that in the refrigerator. I left the beans with the liquids allowing it adsorb as I chopped the cucumbers and halved the cherry tomatoes, pulled 5 basil leaves roughly chopped them and just waited for the chicken to finish baking.
 
**how cute is my little basil plant!?** <3

Once the timer 'dinged' letting me know time was up I started putting the salad together. I took the chicken out of the oven and set it on the counter so it could cool a bit. Put some fresh arugula in a salad bowl, drained the liquid from the beans, threw in the chopped basil then sprinkled some crushed red peppers, salt and black pepper. I then took 3 tablespoons of the beans put it on top of the arugula, a few pieces of cucumbers and cherry tomatoes then topped it with 4 pieces of chicken and chowed down! 



 
 How amazing does that look!? All fresh ingredients! All delicious! Very simple!!

Happy healthy eats!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment