Wednesday, March 18, 2015

St. Patty's dinner!

Hello again beautiful people!

So I am a day late on my corned beef, potatoes and cabbage recipe, but it's so good I figure who cares!? You and the lucky lads you decide to share this with will be smiling from ear to ear with this delicious meal so hey why not? Let's go over the ingredients (just a few things needed and promise it's SUPER simple!)


You'll need:
3lb corned beef (spice is in packet)
6 medium sized red potatoes
1 cabbage
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2-3 tablespoon sweet honey mustard

See literally a few things needed but the outcome is incredibly delish!!!!
 
When you remove the corned beef from the packet there's a little spice packet included, some people toss it but I like to use it. The more spices the more flavor I say but hey to each it's own, so do as you please. I put the corned beef in a pot fat side up with water to boil and toss in the spices from the packet (water covering the meat). I let it boil for about 45 minutes or so until I feel it's gotten a bit tender and then set the oven to pre-heat at 350 degrees.
 
Before taking the corned beef out I cut of a large piece of foil making sure it's enough to wrap around the whole corned beef and get a shallow roasting pan out to place it in. Once I remove the meat from the pot I place it on top of the foil and slather on the fat side up honey mustard and then a tablespoon of brown sugar.
 
I wrap it up tightly on the side so it kind of creates a little container catching the juice and little space on top. I then place the corned beef in the shallow roasting pan and put it in the oven for an hour before opening it up again showing it some more love by topping it off with another tablespoon of brown sugar on top, by this time it will be a beautiful brown color.
 
One hour down another hour to go...
 
At this time I peel the red potatoes and cut them in half putting them in the pot that had the corned beef with the spices inside and allow it to boil on medium high for about 45 minutes, I then wash the cabbage peel off a few of the front leaves then cut it in large wedges placing that in the boiling pot for the remainder of the 15-20 minutes. 
 
 
I take out the corned beef opening the foil so it can get a little bit more color and put it back in the oven for 10 minutes.
 
 
M'mmm...the meal is coming together quite well, the kitchen smells heavenly and my mouth is watering. After the 10 minutes are up I take the corned beef out placing it on a cutting board allowing it cool down before slicing into it. Cut the meat at a diagonal across the grain about half an inch thick and serve immediately along side the potatoes and cabbage.
 
*This is optional but I like to put honey mustard and Dijon mustard in two separate bowls alongside my plate and spread a little on the meat before chowing down. Try it, if you like it keep it, if not toss it.
 
 

 
 
I hope that you try this recipe, if you do please share pictures with me. I'd love to see it!
 
***Happy cooking***

No comments:

Post a Comment